Friday, January 17, 2014

An unexpected gift

Our regular guild meeting was on Wednesday evening of this week and I was pleasantly surprised when a friend approached me with a gift for me . The gift was rolled in a tube covered with pretty vintage looking tissue paper , I really was not sure what would be inside but Anne told me to go ahead and open it so I did just that .

Would you like to see inside this pretty tissue ? I know you would so I won't keep you guessing .
This an antique stitch sampler , this photo does not do it justice at all , it is a dull day today and my attempts at getting a better picture failed so I went with this one . It is so beautifully done , several stitches and even the top edge is done in part by a blanket stitch . I would love to know the history of this piece and who the stitcher was , THANK YOU so much Anne , it is a real treasure to me and I will frame it and hang it here in my sewing room .  I was so touched that you thought of me when you spotted this in an antique store .

I have decided for my first time to join in a little event called Growing your Blog which is hosted by Vicki of 2 bags full  . I read about this event on a favorite blog Stitch Lines and thought I would give this a try .
                                                         2 Bags Full
This event is meant to give us all a chance to explore other blogs and find those that interest us and follow them and hopefully others will visit and follow our blogs as well which will result in growing our blogs , it should be a fun event and there may be prizes given by some bloggers . You can get all the details on Vicki's blog and when blogger cooperates with me I will place the icon on my blog with a link to Vicki's blog .As you can see this event is scheduled for January 25th which is just around the corner so get ready for some fun and possibly new blogging friends .
I am off now to attach some narrow borders  to my mystery quilt , I think it is about time I tackle this one again . Thanks for stopping by and have a great day .
 hugs Sheila

16 comments:

  1. That piece is so pretty Sheila. I missed getting in on this hop; shoot. not paying enough attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! what a lovely gift! I am also taking part in the grow your blog party, should be lots of fun!
    Hugs, Sharm

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very beautiful piece of embroidery. A wonderful gift. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you (and thoughtful Anne), what a lovely piece. I would have loved to join in on the hop but have a busy family weekend then - have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a very special gift. I will see you at the Grow you Blog Party
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lovely gift, I agree, it would be lovely to know more about who stitched it. amazing.
    happy sewing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your friend Anne knows you well! It will look wonderful in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous gift Sheila. It has found the right place to reside with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous gift you received from Anne..
    Have fun in the Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how special is that piece of embroidery, what do you plan to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new sampler. It's nice that it has ended up in a place where it will be appreciated. I'm joining the Grow your Blog hop, too. It'll be fun to visit new places via the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat find! It makes you wonder about the person who created it, what their life was like and how old they were.
    Have a great weekend,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gift Sheila. And so nice to see a 'proper' stitch sampler rather than the traditional alphabet and tree of life! I love it, lucky you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great gift Sheila. I would also love to know the history behind that piece so please share if you should happen to learn more about it. A very appropriate piece of art for your sewing room :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. how nice of Anne to think of you and give you such a very nice gift.

    ReplyDelete