Saturday, April 24, 2010

Is it Wednesday yet?


First off you must have known I could never wait until Wed. to make a block , my enthusiasm was over flowing to give this hexagon flower a try and the verdict is in , I loved it , so fun to make and quite relaxing too .You have got to love handwork :-) I am sure you can figure out that the picture of the single flower is what I have made , the other picture I just had to share with you , this is a portion of a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt given to my husband and I 20 some odd years ago by his great aunt Bessie , it was in poor condition even then as she had owned it for at least 20 years prior to that and it was used a lot . The fabrics are worn and very faded and the stitching is coming apart but the dear old soul is now just for decorative purposes , don't want to stress those fibers anymore than necessary . By looking at the fabrics used I would guess it was made in the 50's early 60's as I recognize those fabrics used in aprons my Mom wore around that time so it is at least 50 years old and most likely older . Bessie told us when she gave it to us that an elderly lady in her late 80's had made it for her and because she knew I had a love for quilts she gave it to me, now wasn't that sweet of her .Bessie passed away not long after she gave the quilt to me but everytime I look at this quilt I have to think of her and smile.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by .
Sheila
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Sheila! I love the fabrics you used...very vintage looking. And greens and purples are my favorite colors. Thanks for sharing the story of Bessie's quilt...very special!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors too...and yes hexagons are VERY addicting.

    blessings,
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job Sheila. I want to try epp one of these days. Since I'm not big on hand work I don't know if I'll like it or not.

    What a sweet story about aunt Bessie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty Sheila!!! I love the colour. And, what a lovely quilt from great aunt Bessie.

    ReplyDelete